torstai 18. lokakuuta 2012

Finnish sponsors visiting

Family Parkkonen arrived last Wednesday. Annika, Peter, Luukas and Linnea are going to make a DVD of Dzikwa programm for PR purposes. They are really nice and I am going to Vic falls with them this coming Friday. On Thursday we went to see the Hairspray musical with three kids: Cynthia, Evidence and Letwin. I paid for Letwin as I promised and the musical was super good. Sometimes the sound system didn’t quite work but the actors were talented and young. Also the children enjoyed it. Parkkonen family has been sponsoring some children over 10 years and now they finally got to meet their “kids” Chipo and Nomore. Tears were shed and gifts were given. (Oh how  poetic).
It is hot in here so I wear tiny shorts, but I am the only one because these crazy Zimbabweans wear long trousers and even jackets. Well while walking in the city with Oili one combi (small local bus) driver wanted to marry me but Oili just yells: 100 cows, 100 cows. Because in here if you marry, the boy has to pay a price for the bride’s parents, but the maximum cow amount is actually 10 so I am a little over priced.
            A group of 21 Finnish people arrived on Saturday and today on Monday they are coming to Chisipite for a cocktail party. They are nice and most of them have a child whom they sponsor. They are going to Imire (safari)on Tuesday  and take their children with them and then Parkkoset and me are going on Wednesday.
Today is Tuesday and the party went well, all the Finnish people were happy and enjoying Zimbabwe very much. We ate samusos and meatballs and drumsticks (meaning chicken legs) and my favourite BANANA BREAD. I parked in front of the plate and stayed there, Linnea and Luukas wanted to do the same but they were to modest. Muahhahahaa more for me! (yes I know I’m gross).  The only annoying part for the Finns was that for the last three days it rained in the evening around 5 o’clock. Hopefully the Finnish group don’t get caught up in the rain today while in Imire.
            Annika Parkkonen the mother, booked our transportation and accommodation for Victoria Falls and the total for me was 168 euros, me like very much, because I was expecting much more so now I have more money for shopping. Linnea and Luukas and I have found a new way to spend our days at the Dzikwa Centre, eating Freezets. Freezets are frozen juice in a plastic bag and they are very cheap and our kitchen ladies sell them, 10 for a dollar so I can afford to give them to the kids and my friends. They are probably full of sugar and colouring chemicals but they are lovely when it’s so hot outside. So now when there are 7 of us 2 of us have to travel on the trunk of the car. It is hot, bouncy and not nice at all and of course as kids Luukas, Linnea and I have to travel there. When we stop it looks as if the car was still moving because when you look back all the time your eyes get used to things moving more far and far.
            Priscilla is a worker in Dzikwa. One day Oili found black shoes in our car and thought that they arrived with a Finnish family and were for the children. Well Oili and I looked at them and we decided that they look very Priscilla like so we said: Let’s give them to Priscilla, she never gets anything. Next day Priscilla was franticly asking if we have seen her good shoes, so unfortunately she didn’t get new shoes but she got her own shoes as a present for Oili and Laura; the well wishers.
            Today, Tuesday, before we went to the International school to record some DVD material we went to Avondale flee market. I bought 15 pairs of earrings (souvenirs), a wire basket with beaded lizards and some fridge magnets. Even though shopping is fun it is also tiresome because every salesman wants me to come to their stand, buy something and everybody tells the same things: Special price just for you, Come my friend I will show you something, My friend just buy something small….. Aaargh!!! They don’t realize that I already have my suitcase halfway full (maybe they think it is halfway empty). At the International school the culture group performed and Linnea took video of the performance and I tried to take pictures but it was too dark. Letwin was the lead singer at least in three songs and she is also a very good dancer. I took really nice pictures of her and some other girls like: Nomsa, Joyline, Lily, Kudzai, Kundai and many else. They are so cute in their culture group outfits although it seems like every time they perform somebody breaks a necklace.
            The woman who is going to do a story of me teaching the ABC English & Me – program in Africa contacted me and asked for photos so hopefully the kids show up this Thursday so we get good pictures. The kids are all cute so pictures of them are lovely.
I have started preparing a list of all the Christmas presents but mostly all of the presents will arrive at the container which is now going through all kinds of inspections and paperwork somewhere near here. I am also writing the letters that some kids want to send to their sponsors. But regrettably my paint-the-dura-wall-program hasn’t made any progress at all.
Here you have a Zimbabwean song:

Vasikana
 vasikana
Huyai tigare humambo hwekudenga
Huyai tigare! Kuti ga-ga gare humambo
Humambo hweiko humambo hwekudenga
Laura Ainamo

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti